Monday, September 21, 2009

Play Date



Maddi had her first official play date today. Little Miss B is 8 days younger than M and cute as a button! Maddi wasn't quite as interactive as I hoped she'd be... she took more of the silent observer approach to their blossoming friendship, but we had a great time anyway. :)
After the kids finished playing, we started walking around the mall. We were strolling along when I heard someone shout my name. I looked around but didn't see anyone I knew so I kept walking only to hear the shouting again. I looked around again and through all of the tattoos and piercings, I barely recognized an old acquaintance from high school choir who was now working at a cookie stand. I stopped to catch up for a moment and asked all of the obligatory what have you been up to since high school questions. After an awkward silence, realizing that we had nothing in common, I said, "So, how's your brother (who also went to school with us)? She replied "well he's my sister now. He's living as a woman, but he still has all of his man parts." I was STUNNED. What exactly do you say to that? Great? I'm sorry? I went with the rather meek "well... isn't that something..." I couldn't believe I was having this conversation. in public. with a person I hadn't seen in ten years. All I wanted to do was run away, profusely apologize to C, and cover my baby girl's ears, but as I casually started walking backwards she just started talking louder. "Yeah. He's living with a woman, and even though he looks like a woman, he's not really, so he isn't actually gay or anything." Oh my! I stopped listening after that, and started to frantically plan my getaway. I just caught the random: crazy... drugs...shooting up... blah blah blah. What a mess! So, C probably thinks I'm a freak and won't ever let her baby come near me again. What can I say? People are crazy; I'm sorry C that you had to endure their craziness. and I bet you never knew a play date could be so scandalous :)

3 comments:

Candace said...

Wow. Just wow.

Beth said...

Ditto... wow.

C said...

Hahahaha. No worries!!! I think my personal favorite was "I think if he got some counseling he'd be ok. I mean, he lives with his girlfriend, she doesn't mind it..." What kind of girl doesn't mind that their man is dressing up like a woman?! My oh my.