Monday, April 2, 2012

We talk about nothing

In my never ending persuit to become a better mom and wife, I read a passage that said we should talk about absolutely nothing with our kids so that when there's something important to talk about, we will already have open, comfortable lines of communication. As my children have grown, as I've struggled to learn how to communicate in a healthy, respectful manner, and as I have matured in my relationships, that simple thought has returned to me again and again.  I catch myself talking to Drew about hockey and snakes and what he wants to be when he grows up.  I listen to Maddi tell me about how plants grow and which princess is the prettiest.  I realize Sean and I are casually talking about the weather and I can't help but grin.  We talk about nothing so that when we need to talk about the important things, it flows easily and naturally.  We can share our fears without judgment, and when the time comes, we can honestly share our joys and concerns and volnerabilities in safety and love.  And here are a few pictures from our latest hike where we walked and rode and daydreamed and talked about everything and nothing all at the same time.
Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

No comments: