Saturday, March 14, 2009

Impetigo

In the last post, I casually mentioned that the kids were sick. Unfortunately, it hasn't gotten any better. Drew was just on an antibiotic a few weeks ago, so I decided to just watch him to see if this was just a cold that he could get over himself without hauling him into the doctor's office once again. No such luck. The sneezing and coughing and even the pukes didn't bother me, but when his lip swelled up and he started getting oozy blisters all over his face, I decided this wasn't just the average cold. We went to the pediatrician this morning and found out that Drew has strep and that the bacteria had spread to his skin resulting in impetigo also known as 'school sores' (it seems like he's always getting something icky from his little germy schoolmates). Luckily, I noticed it before it got bad, and it should clear up in about 10 days with the help of a few antibiotics. It's highly contagious though, so I'm just praying that he doesn't share his little germies with us because I don't think I could pull off the weeping, crusty facial wound look. It seems like the second I told him he couldn't scratch it, all he could think about was the uncontrollable need to pick at it...poor baby. So, it looks like this will be a rather interesting spring break or at least the first one we've spent stuck inside afraid to touch our faces. :)

4 comments:

Beth said...

Poor kid!!! That is miserable! I hope no one else gets it! Sometimes I wish I could keep Addie in a bubble since she gets sick so easily, I bet you wish the same!

Mandy said...

Feel for you honey - hope this week isn't too unbearable! Let us know if there's anything we can do to help!

Becki said...

Seriously, you have had more than your share of sickness already. I hope he gets better soon, and that his little germs keep to themselves! :)

Cari said...

Holy! Poor kid. Hopefully this will run a quick coarse. You guys definitely deserve a carefree summer.