Monday, January 3, 2011

Wrapping Up the Holidays

I took down the tree today, swept up the pine needles, and threw away the last bit of wrapping paper that was hidden under the chair. The holiday season is officially over, so here are a few random facts and a few pictures to wrap up the holiday cheer.


I am addicted to redbox. I can watch anything for only $1! I also signed up for their text coupons, so I get a free movie code every week. It's become my guilty little indulgence. My latest favorite is Knight and Day.

I am becoming obsessed with decorating using things that are growing in my yard. My decorating style is rather simplistic and organic, so my house is full of pine cones, pine branches, and vases dripping with holly branches.




We've been so busy that we didn't actually make our Christmas cookies until after Christmas, but this year it was extra fun for some reason. We tried a new recipe this year that was delicious; Drew rolled out the dough and used the cookie cutters, and Maddi watched the oven with great anticipation.


Grandma and Grandpa Glouner got Maddi THE BEST PRESENT EVER!! Have you ever seen this?? It's a book, but they recorded themselves reading it, and it plays their recording each time she turns the page. Now they can read her a story and she can find comfort in their voices even though hundreds of miles separate them. Seriously, I cried the first time I heard their voices and watched her smile. The best gift ever.


Drew bought Sean and I Christmas presents this year. He picked out what he wanted to get us, used the self check out, paid by himself, and them came home and wrapped the gifts by himself. I am so glad that I get to see him learn compassion and charity, and he made Christmas extra special for me this year.
I just finished reading John Grisham's new book (one of my presents from Drew), and it is amazing. It made me think of the death penalty in a whole new light. For the first time I was able to open my mind to the process and its implications. I love how Grisham is able to thoroughly entertain while bringing attention to relevant political and moral issues. I'm looking forward to starting Eat Pray Love next. I love love LOVE reading. I love that words can be strung together to inspire introspection and become a catalyst for change.
I'm editing pictures from our day at the park. Can't wait to post them tomorrow!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Eat Pray Love was good. I enjoyed it. I recently finished reading "The Wolves of Andover" and really enjoyed that as well. Kinda dark but a good read.