Wednesday, July 2, 2014

summer rush

This summer has had us running all over the place, so I have a lot of blog catching up to do, but I thought I'd take a moment to write down a special little something about these two kiddos. 
I've been doing a lot of volunteering lately.  I volunteered to sing in an Independence Day concert with the Military Band which was an awesome experience but took a lot of time practicing and memorizing music, and I volunteered at the local Scout day camp even though my little boy is too old to attend (He just turned 12! I'm really behind on posting!)  I'm not alone in my volunteering, Sean is always quick to help someone change a tire or mow their grass, but as a parent you always wonder if the good things you do go unnoticed by your kids.  I spend so much time carefully steering them in the right direction, but I wonder if the small things that make us who we are can be recognized by their growing little minds. 
So, the other day, I heard the front door opening and closing, cabinets banging, the wrestling of bags... very unsettling, messy sounds.  I went to check on them and to remind them that it is a million degrees outside and I might have a heat stroke if they continue to let the cold air out when I see Maddi giggling and pulling the door shut with her toes as she sneaks outside with an armful of garbage bags.  With my curiosity peaked, I gazed out the window unsure of what I'd find and saw my two little love bugs cleaning up a mess in our elderly neighbors yard.  No one asked them to, they just saw a need and went to help.  I love these two more than life.  I feel so blessed to know them, to learn from them, and to call them mine.  I hope they continue to find joy in service and through that joy and love, are able to live in gratitude and grow closer to God.  With their compassion and humility, the world is theirs to change.


Here are a few pictures of them trying out the archery station before camp started.  I would post pictures of the choir and them cleaning, but I've been a bit lazy with my camera lately.

No comments: