Friday, January 22, 2010

Twist & Shout





We had a tornado touchdown in Huntsville last night. It was definitely too close for comfort and a little uncharacteristic for this time of year. Snow 2 weeks ago, and tornadoes this week. It's just weird. It also formed very quickly... so quickly that the sirens didn't even go off. Just plain weird. weird and scary. Sean called from work and said that the tornado was confirmed on the ground. I flipped on the news and saw my neighborhood listed on the storm tracker. MY NEIGHBORHOOD. I looked at the clock. I had 6 minutes, so I threw the kids in the car and headed north. There was no rain. No hail. Just an eerily green sky and ominous clouds. I drove around the storm. Oddly a drop of rain never touched the car, and then we headed home. I thought of all of the things that I would miss if my house was destroyed when I returned. But then I realized that they were just that... just things. I had my babies with me, and they are truly all that I treasure. The tornado was on the ground for about 4 miles and then dissipated before reaching our home. I've caught myself several times today whispering prayers of gratitude. My heart is just so full and my spirit so humbled. I took nothing for granted today. I fell asleep thanking God for my bed. my sheets. my toothbrush. my snoring hubby. I am blessed, but not just with things; I am blessed with love and with people to love, and to me, there is no greater gift.

3 comments:

Don and Sherry said...

The picture in your post are powerful. Scott and Don both saw the tornado. Don when it was in the air and Scott when it was on the ground. The tornado hit on my street, near Beth's house, near my brother's house and near my niece. Like you I am truly grateful for all the blessing we have, but mostly that my loved ones were spared.

Becki said...

Wow. It got soo close to you! I'm glad you guys are okay. THat was a scary one. Oh, and I hope you are feeling a little better!

Candace said...

It is so crazy that there was snow...this...then snow again. Where is summer???